11. The West-Eastern Divan: Ian Bostridge & Julius Drake
11 October 2020, 7:30pm - 9:30pm
We are thrilled that Ian Bostridge, one of the world’s foremost tenors, will be our artist in residence this year, giving two concerts, an interview and a masterclass. Tonight, he appears with long-standing duo partner and accompanist-par-excellence Julius Drake in a programme that builds on today’s exploration of Hafez and his influence on later song composers. They include the Eastern-inspired poetry of Friedrich Rückert in songs by Schubert and Mahler, and selections of Goethe’s West-Eastern Divan set by Hugo Wolf. They also perform selections of Hans Werner Henze’s Songs from the Arabian, a masterpiece of the modern song repertoire, written for Ian Bostridge in 1996.
EMERGING ARTIST: Fleur Barron
Every evening recital this year will begin with Schubert songs performed by singers who have arguably been hardest hit by the current crisis: artists who are already forging careers but not yet at a stage where they can view current circumstances as a temporary setback. Tonight, we hear the exceptional mezzo-soprano Fleur Barron, described by the Boston Globe as a ‘charismatic star’ and by the Times as a ‘knockout performer’.
This concert will be streamed completely live from the Holywell Music Room. Shortly afterwards, it will also be available to watch again (using the same ticket and link) until 1 November 2020. Click here for further information on how tickets will work this year.
This event will be presented by Ian Skelly.
TRY BEFORE YOU BUY
- Franz Schubert (1797 - 1828)
- Geheimes (1821) D719
- Im Jänner 1817 ‘Tiefes Leid’ (1826) D876
- An Silvia (1826) D891
- Totengräbers Heimweh (1825) D842
- Die Wallfahrt (1823) D778a
- Greisengesang (1823) D778
- Lachen und Weinen (1823) D777
- Dass sie hier gewesen (1823) D775
- Du bist die Ruh (1823) D776
- Sei mir gegrüsst (1822) D741
---- Interval ----
- Hans Werner Henze (1926 - 2012)
- Casarion (1997) from Six Songs from the Arabian (Sechs Gesänge aus dem Arabischen)
- Das Paradies (1997) from Six Songs from the Arabian (Sechs Gesänge aus dem Arabischen)
- Hugo Wolf (1860 - 1903)
- Phänomen (1891) from Goethe-Lieder
- Wie sollt ich heiter bleiben (1891) from Goethe-Lieder
- Wenn ich dein gedenke (1891) from Goethe-Lieder
- Komm, Liebchen, komm (1891) from Goethe-Lieder
10 October 2020 | 10:00am