4. Kate Royal, Christine Rice & Julius Drake: Brahms, Schumann & Weill
14 October 2022, 7:30pm - 8:50pm
Our Opening Night recital brings together three great artists and a wonderful selection of songs, in the stunning setting of Christopher Wren's Sheldonian Theatre.
Kate Royal is one of the world’s best-known sopranos, who last appeared at the Festival in a memorable, sell-out recital in 2018. We are thrilled to welcome the equally celebrated mezzo-soprano Christine Rice, who appears at the Festival for the first time. Joined by the pre-eminent pianist Julius Drake, they perform songs and duets by Robert Schumann and Johannes Brahms; two composers whose friendship and mutual admiration was immensely important in the history of song. Their programme concludes with a group of songs by Kurt Weill, including settings of his close friend Bertolt Brecht.
At the start of this concert, and at almost every evening recital in the Festival, we present outstanding young professional musicans in our 'Emerging Artists' slot: a short performance that is a great platform for the artists and a superb chance for our audience to hear the next generation of star musicians. During the first week of the Festival, these slots will primarily be given by our Young Artist Platform winners, including tonight's duo: tenor Magnus Walker and pianist Eunji Han. They perform a short group of songs by Clara Schumann, completing the friendship circle between Brahms and the Schumann family.
All our seating is unreserved within your ticket area; please arrive in good time to take your seat. For groups of more than 10, please phone or email the box office to book your tickets.
The event duration is approximately 1 hour 20 minutes and there will be no interval.
TICKETS AND PASSES
(Online bookings only)
Book five or more concerts at the same time: 5% discount
Book ten or more concerts at the same time: 10% discount
Book fifteen or more concerts at the same time: 15% discount
For even further discounts click here for more information on our Festival Passes.
Tickets will be issued as eTickets by default. Printed tickets are available on request, for an additional fee.
- Clara Schumann (1819 - 1896)
- Das Veilchen
- Geheimes Flüstern hier und dort (1853) Op. 23 no.3 from Sechs Lieder aus Jucunde
- Walzer (1833)
- Die gute Nacht, die ich dir sage (1841)
- Beim Abschied
- Johannes Brahms (1833 - 1897)
- Zigeunerlieder, 'Gypsy Songs' (solo version) (1886)
- He, Zigeuner, greife in die Saiten ein!
- Hochgetürmte Rimafluth, wie bist so trüb
- Wisst ihr, wann mein Kindchen
- Lieber Gott, du weisst, wie oft bereut ich hab
- Brauner Bursche führt zum Tanze
- Röslein dreie in der Reihe blühn so rot
- Kommt dir manchmal in den Sinn
- Rote Abendwolken ziehn
- Die Schwestern Op. 61 no.1
- Die Meere Op. 20 no.3
- Phänomen (1891) Op. 61 no.3
- Walpurgisnacht (1878) Op. 75 no.4
- Robert Schumann (1810 - 1856)
- Herbstlied (1840) Op. 43 no.2 2, 3 & 9.x.1840 from Drei Duette
- Erste Begegnung (1849) Op. 74 no.1 24–29.iii.1849 from Spanisches Liederspiel
- Sommerruh (1849) WoO7 24.xi.1849
- In der Nacht (1849) Op. 74 no.4 24–29.iii.1849 from Spanisches Liederspiel
14 October 2022 | 11:00am